Sunday, January 19, 2014

Go vote for the 2013 Blog of the Year and some Dime Box Pick-Ups!

Jaybarkerfan's Junk is hosting a 2013 Blog of the Year Award where you can vote for your favorite blog. He accepted nominations and now you can vote. Voting actually ends today though so go vote now, if you haven't already!

I nominated the blog Dime Boxes -- The Low-End Baseball Card Collector's Journey. Nick puts out quality post after quality post about cards that he loves. Most are from...you guessed it... Dime Boxes, but while these cards are awesome, he also has some great vintage cards of guys like Mantle, Aaron, Koufax, Clemente, and Mays. He's got a massive collection and isn't afraid to blog about it (evident by his 389 posts last year alone).

In honor of Nick and his blog, Dime Boxes -- The Low-End Baseball Card Collector's Journey, I'm going to show off a few cards I picked up recently from a dime box at my local card shop.

First up are three 1986 Topps cards paying tribute to Pete Rose. Just a few years later he would fall from grace and now he can't even be featured on a Topps card. There are 6 cards in this subset, so I'm on the lookout for the other 3.




Next up is a 1982 Donruss Dave Parker. I've toyed with the idea of a mini-collection (a term I stole from Nick) of broken bat cards, so I picked this up when I saw it.


I probably already have this, but I couldn't resist picking it up. I reminds me more of a football card than a baseball card.


I love the Braves uniform on this 1974 Topps Phil Niekro card!


This Bob Feller card jumped out at me and I had to pick it up. The bottom doesn't scan well, but it looks great in person!


I'd never seen this card before and didn't even remember that Groat played for the Cardinals. This will go out soon ttm in hopes of getting it signed.

I'm really close to starting a Thurman Munson collection, especially when I can pick them up for a dime.


Hall of Famers for a dime are hard to pass up. Check out an awesome Weaver auto that Fuji over at The Chronicles of Fuji just picked up. 


I've always been a Tony Clark fan and then he played for the D-Backs which made it even better. My buddy used to work at Sweet Tomatoes, which is an all you can eat salad bar restaurant, and Tony used to come in all the time. He was super nice and he got to know him a little bit. I also like the "Now Appearing" on this card.

I'm a Piazza fan and probably already have this, but I usually pick up anything Piazza when I see it in a dime box. For more Piazza dime box cards check out GCRL's recent pick-ups here and here


The only Diamondback card out of my dime box pick-up. One of my 2014 goals is to diversify my collection and my blog posts. Don't get me wrong...I still love the D-Backs, but there are a ton of great cards out there.


1 comment: