Monday, March 21, 2016

1 or 2?

I've been sorting again and every once in a while I come across something that makes me scratch my head and write a blog post.

As card collector's we're all very familiar with parallels. The slightest variation creates a separate card and it gets added to a checklist.

Here's an example.


It doesn't scan well but the card below is a 1st Edition parallel to the base 2004 Topps card above. The only difference between the two cards is that little bit of foil. 


So here's a question for you. Do you consider the cards below the same card or a different card? They are 2010 Topps Attax cards and each feature a unique code to be entered online. Does the code make each of these cards a unique card? 

To me the difference between the two is bigger than the difference between the 2004 Topps and the 2004 Topps 1st Edition. I don't think they are two different cards, but it did make me think for a minute and I thought I'd pose the question to the card blogosphere. 


7 comments:

  1. For whatever reason, I tend to ignore the codes on the Attax cards. I consider the first two to be different, yet I don't see the Attax as different. But I definitely see your point.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm with Tony L. The first two are different, the second two are the same card with different serial numbers (I generally only try to collect a single Larkin card numbered /25, not every Larkin card /25 from that particular set).

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm with both who've commented before me; that said, I can definitely see the massive, black hole of logic surrounding that decision.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Same. That's four of us now. Not sure why, but maybe the code does not seem like an integral part of the card, but the stamp does?

    Stupid '90s did this to us.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'll make it 5, agreeing with those above me.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I agree with all those above as well.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Agree with all of the above as well

    ReplyDelete