Tuesday, May 10, 2016

First bobblehead of the 2016 season!

I'm a bit behind posting this, but better late than never...right?

I haven't mentioned this yet, but I was laid off on April 4th (Opening Day). After 12 years working for the same organization it was difficult to hear that I was no longer needed. This has led to lots of changes in our household including no spending on things like baseball cards and Diamondbacks games.

The Diamondbacks gave away their first bobblehead of the 2016 season on Saturday, April 23rd and I wasn't planning on attending, but my good friend Joe, of the blog Catching Rays!, was and graciously offered me a bobblehead.

About noon on the 23rd my wife got a text from some friends asking if we wanted tickets for the game. I took my oldest son and we went and were able to get a bobblehead.


While at the game I thought I saw Adam, of the blog Thoughts and Sox, walking down the isle and so I text him to see if he was at the game. He said he was and asked if I was there or if I needed him to save a bobblehead for me. I let him know that I was at the game and asked him what section he was in. He was in the same section as us, but was quite a bit closer to the field. He actually had a few empty seats by him so he invited us down and we sat with him for a bit. it was great to chat with him.

My son and I went to the upper level so he could play wiffle ball and when we came back a few innings later there was an older gentleman sitting in our seats so we just moved across the isle to some empty seats. Soon after the D-Backs hit a home run and most of the crowd, including myself stood up. While standing up I noticed that my niece and some of her family was there at the game so I went over and said hello.

The D-Backs ended up winning and my son and I had a much needed great time. I just want to publicly thank Joe and Adam for being willing to give me a bobblehead and for Tyler and Deeann for giving us the tickets.

In order to fit the AJ Pollock bobblehead on my shelf I had to do some rearranging. I also added some risers so that some of the bobbleheads in the back are up a bit. Here is what the shelf looks like now.





12 comments:

  1. Sweet bobbleheads on display . . . must be a pain to dust. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is a pain to dust. Only happens about once every 4-6 months.

      Delete
  2. Your collection looks amazing!

    ReplyDelete
  3. It was nice seeing you again. Quite a coincidence too since that was the only game I planned to attend all year.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, and the fact that we were in the same section was pretty crazy.

      Delete
  4. Looking good!
    Sorry to hear about your job. Best of luck landing something great soon.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That means a lot since I know how much you dislike bobbleheads. Thanks for the kind words about the job.

      Delete
  5. Hope you get a job soon! Something will turn up! And great bobblehead collection!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Sorry to hear about you job. I hope you're able to find another one soon. As for the game... it's crazy how small of a world we actually live in. Seems like whenever I go to a sporting event, I at least run into two or three (past or present) students, friends, or family members. Glad you were able to grab yourself a new bobble for your shelves (the display looks amazing!).

    ReplyDelete
  7. Beautiful collection! I have quite a few Dodgers and Quakes. (I'm sure you hate the Dodgers haha) Regardless, I can appreciate a good collection when I see one!

    ReplyDelete