Thursday, June 16, 2016

Front and Back: Cards from P-Town Tom

P-town Tom, of the blog Waiting 'til Next Year has been busy this summer. He's been relocating boat loads of chipmunks, going to estate sales, taking in some minor league ball, and buying a 2016 Topps National League Standouts retail pack among other things and yet he had enough time to send me out a trade package. Thank you Tom!

I mentioned that Tom bought a 2016 Topps National League Standouts pack and he offered up everything for trade besides his beloved Cubs.

I'm always up for adding a new Goldy card to my collection, so I inquired about the D-Backs (Goldschmidt and Grenkie) and a few days later a package from IL arrived in my mailbox.

As far as I can tell there are only two things different about the National League Standouts cards from the regular Topps base cards.

There is a National League logo on the front of the card...


...and the numbering on the back indicates it is from a Team Set and has an NL prefix. 


Here is the Greinke in all it's airbrushed glory. 


These weren't the only cards that Tom sent and since I showed the fronts and backs of these two cards, I thought I'd show the front and backs of all the cards he sent. 

David Dellucci was the 45th pick in the Diamondbacks/Rays 1997 expansion draft. He wasn't an Opening Day starter for the D-Backs in 1998, but he did play in 124 games for the D-Backs that first season and played with AZ through 2003, including 115 games during the 2001 season in which the D-Backs won the World Series. 



Check out this Skybox Dominion Strikeout Leaders card featuring Pedro Martinez and Randy Johnson. 


The back really puts things into perspective when it comes to this card. Take a look at the #2 in each league. Both Pedro and RJ had 100+ more strikeouts than the next closest pitcher. Talk about dominating. 


Travis Lee was my first favorite D-Backs player. He was the man here in AZ in 1998! He holds the distinction of getting the first Diamondbacks hit (single) and home run on March 31, 1998, as well as scoring the first run and recording the first RBI for the D-Backs as well. I was at that game. 



Check out Durazo's 1999 stats. He batted .329 with 11 home runs in 52 games. Durazo was also part of the D-Backs 2001 World Series championship team. 



Hanley Frias is a player that I don't really remember. Probably because he only played 159 games over the course of his three years with the D-Backs. After 2000 he never played in the majors. 



Loved these Ovation cards. The seems are embossed, so you can feel them. I miss Upper Deck baseball. 



You can't really see it in the scan, but this Jack Cust card is from a Bowman insert set called Tool Time. Probably a play on the hit sit-com Home Improvement featuring Tim Allen in which he had a home improvement show called Tool Time. 


Check out the back. Someone thought Jack was poised to become "one of the game's great home run hitters". Jack didn't even hit a home run as a Diamondback, although he did hit 105 home runs during his 10 year career. I'd say he fell a little short of "one of the game's great home run hitters".


This 2002 Fleer Ultra Luis Gonzalez card is my favorite card from the bunch that Tom sent. It features Gonzo lounging in a golf cart. I also don't have this card, so it is new to my collection. I know I don't have it because I just went through all of my Gonzo cards before attending the Luis Gonzalez signing last week. 



Thanks again Tom for some great cards! I'll get some Cubs in the mail shortly!

1 comment:

  1. Glad you liked that package. I thought you might like that Gonzo!

    ReplyDelete